Orientation and Training
Before you begin your mentor experience, Shepherds requires all prospective mentors to participate in an intensive half day of orientation and training where we'll cover four important topics:
- Shepherds' mission, goals and culture
- Profile of Shepherds Students, their families and our partner schools
- The role and expectations of being a Shepherds Mentor
- Safe Environment Policies and Best Practices
In the second part of the day, mentors meet their assigned student and families and get to know them in a social setting.
Shepherds School Liaisons
Mentor/Student Coaches extraordinaire!
Shepherds employs experienced academic professionals who act as liaisons between the Shepherds program, the students, their mentors and their respective partner schools.
Partner School Liaisons
- Kolbe Cathedral: Lisa Matson
Tel: (203) 367-4273
- Notre Dame West Haven: Martha Giammatteo
Tel: (203) 937-3240
For mentors, they are the first line of inquiry on student academic and social issues. For Shepherds Students, they provide oversight of student grades, discipline and compliance with Shepherds standards.
Supporting The Mentoring Experience
All freshmen students and their mentors are assigned to 2-4 mentor/student team pods to facilitate group planning. Particularly for freshmen, group activities with peers are a much more comfortable way to break in new relationships.
- Mentors are encouraged to initiate and help one another plan group activities for fun and community building.
- Pods have participated in service projects such as attending sporting events on local college campuses, participating in community service projects, bowling, painting classes, finding your way as a team out of an escape room.
- Facebook – Be sure and follow our Facebook page for various updates and upcoming events
- Closed Facebook Account – Shepherds has a closed and private Facebook forum where mentors can share thoughts and ideas. If you are a mentor, please email email@example.com and request an invitation.
Chaired by Shepherds Mentor Committee Chairperson, this Committee guides the overall training and support of the Shepherds Mentor community. Mentors are welcomed to join this Committee.
Each partner school provides on-line access to the mentor’s student’s curriculum, grades, and report cards.
While parents have primary responsibility for student academic progress and disciplinary experience, each school’s guidance counselor is available for questions on curriculum and college planning. It’s often best to first check with our Shepherds School Liaison to see if that’s best direction to go to answer your question.