Generous corporate and individual Shepherds Sponsors underwrite these programs, so there is no additional expense for the student or their family.
- Study and Organizational Skills Workshop: A compulsory workshop for incoming freshman at Kolbe, this 10 week, 1-hour workshop focuses on organization, time management, note-taking and study skills.
- Social Skills Workshops: The six week, 1-hour workshop, primarily for second year students, focuses on helping our young people establish professional etiquette, including: table manners, how to compose thank you notes, email and cell phone etiquette and conversational sessions to foster a more formal approach to language.
- Cultural Enrichment Activities: We schedule a series of cultural enrichment activities, including museum visits, exposure to theater and live sporting events which students are encouraged to attend with their mentors.
- Tailored Online Academic Help: Through our partnership with Khan Academy, we provide our students with tailored, online academic help which targets their individual weaknesses and helps boost their skills for overall college readiness.
- Intensive STEM Achievement Camps: Our achievement camps, which take place over the summer, focus on boosting our students’ reading comprehension and math skills, using fun, 21st century curricula combining Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.
- SAT Prep: TEST PREP was retained by Shepherds to conduct 10-week sessions for Shepherds Juniors, on-site at Kolbe in Bridgeport and Notre Dame of West Haven. Attendance is mandatory. Each student is required to take two proctored SAT practice tests and attend a two and a half hour session for the duration of a 10-week period. Shepherds staff oversees these sessions to ensure student attendance.
- College Visits and Off-to-College Workshops: Shepherds works with college admissions counselors to facilitate group visits and information sessions at different colleges. Transportation is fully funded by institutional grants. We also provide Off-to- College workshops which helps our students come to terms with what to expect once they get to college.
- Interview Technique Workshops: This program is made possible by our corporate sponsor and volunteers. Shepherds students are coached on the most effective interviewing techniques as per Human Resource professionals.
- Corporate Introductions: Through partnerships with key corporate sponsors, Shepherds provides the opportunity for upper classmen to experience shadowing a professional at their corporate offices for a day. As a result, our students gain insight into corporate life, leadership values and skills and are exposed to different professional careers. The program opens the doors for future internships as well. A rigorous application process is required.