Steps To Change A Life
Shepherds' diligence and resources dedicated to the recruiting, training and support of Shepherds mentors help build a foundation for success for both the mentor and the student.
Prospective mentors are often referred by current mentors or friends of Shepherds, or come through an organization we’ve met in our annual development work. Typically the beginning of the mentoring process includes:
- An initial phone call to answer questions and clarify the role and gauge interest
- A face-to-face meeting to discuss details of the role
- Completing the Shepherds Mentor application
- Background checks and referrals
- Participation in half-day training curriculum with other new mentors before meeting students
- Student, families and mentors meet shortly after school begins each fall
How To Apply
Shepherds partner schools start building their incoming classes for the following fall in late winter-early spring each year. Shepherds builds its pool of mentors and sponsors for the students at the same time in order to meet the expected number of students to whom Shepherds offers participation in the Program.
If you’re interested in learning more about becoming a Shepherds mentor, please complete and submit Interest To Be A Shepherds Mentor form by clicking the button below.